Steelers Owner Colorully Honored: What Ambassador Rooney Means to Steelers


Published: March 19, 2009


... Barack Obama. Rooney, the son of Steelers' founder Arthur J. Rooney, has been majorly involved with Ireland with maybe his biggest un-NFL achievement: the co-founder of the American Ireland Fund.

Rooney was an Obama campaign supporter during the election by funding the Pennsylvania Primary and helped Obama throughout western Pennsylvania.

Though praise should be given, the franchise needs to consider the outcome of this before total jubilation for their owner.

During the 2008 offseason, Dan Rooney spent the entire summer dispelling Stanley Druckenmiller, the 55-year-old hedge fund manager who attempted to buy the team.

Rooney, a 16 percent owner at the time, proceeded to buyout his other four brothers to own 80 percent of the team. Another Pittsburgh family, the McGinleys, own the other 20 percent. Rooney paid an estimated $750 million to give almost complete control to him and his son, Art Rooney II, who is president of the team.


Read Complete Article at Bleacher Report - NFL
Article Source: